Let's be honest, Episode 5: ...And Found
was a bit of a yawner. Props to Lindelof et al
, though, for having the balls to stick to their "it's all about character" guns and give us an epsiode almost completely devoid of meaningful action or plot-development despite the fact that the next episode is three weeks away. (Quite the next-level cop-out, however, revealing new Dharma logos and whatnot via the interwebs).
I liked the Sun/Jin back-story (him being an ambitious country-boy cum frustrated populist-hero cum ruthless mobster is playing into all kinds of dope Rhygin/Pretty Boy Floyd archetypes,) but it didn't seem to reveal much of anything about any of our ongoing mysteries. Perhaps there is a Boston connection between Sun's uninterested Mr. Perfect and one of the female characters, and perhaps Jin's dickhead boss at the hotel has some nefarious Hanso Foundation/international weapons trade connections or something, but who knows?
We didn't learn much back on the island either. We knew
Mr. Echo was a badass, now we know he's a stand-up fellow as well. Ana Lucia... still tough, still a bitch. The only real new information was our brief glimpse of The Others
, or The Others' muddy cankles
to be more precise. This brief, obscured by shrubbery, view revealed a few interesting things...
- The Others kill folks dead. Yikes.
- The Others wear no shoes, leave no tracks, and appear to glide/shuffle on palm-fronds rather than just walking like the rest of us.
- Some of The Others appeared to glide/shuffle by twice, or perhaps there are twins or clones among them.
- Many if not all of The Others seem to be either pre-pubescent or in possession of an unlimited supply of Lady Bics.
- One of The Others had a teddy-bear (much like Desmond--remember Desmond?--with his stuffed bunny and Walt with his stuffed polar bear).
I'm seeing these folks as kind of "Children of the Corn" types but more similar to the desert-dwelling, water-preserving, worm-riding Fremen
in DUNE; they are dangerous, they are masters of their physical environment, they are in control of a valuable secret, and they are fundamentally misunderstood.